Sunday 21 April 2019

The Rock Wall Experiment

In yesterday's post I showed the mould for the rock wall. I  put it all together around lunchtime. I checked on the casting in the evening. It turned out pretty successful.


There were a tonne of bubbles which needed attention. It wasn't total dry but I figured that I could put it into place. A quick measurement and dry fit showed that It needed a trim. To do this, I used an old kitchen knife. It was a bit like a thick fudge. There was more than one go at cutting and trimming. The top broke off in a couple of places but that would add to the cracks.

In the end I put it into place.


This is where Billabong Marina meets the rest of the layout. As you can see, my carpentry skills aren't brilliant. I'm hoping that painting the right colour on the timber and gluing some lichen onto the corner will help hide the join and ease the transition.

I left it to dry over night but I reckon it might be a good couple of days before it totally cures.

In the meantime, I started on another section of rock wall, using the same alfoil mould.


I've bent the foil to make sides for a 10 x 13 cm section. I mixed up all of the remaining Polyfila powder and poured some of the excess into a section next to it as I might be able to use some of it later.

Until next time and happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment