Friday 19 April 2019

Tamping Some Ballast

A quick trip to the train room yesterday sorted out some of the static grass.

As I had a bit of extra time up my sleeve yesterday evening, I carried on with some ballasting.


The ballast tamper helped out a bit. I had to stop at the end of the platform as I need to install a couple of surface mounted point motors before I carry on. That's a job for another day.

In the meantime I can work forward on this part of the layout. I have a goods siding and an oil terminal to put in.

The oil terminal looks pretty easy. Most of it will be set in concrete. I'm tossing up between Scalescenes concrete print or using some styrene sprayed light grey.

Before this, however, I need to work out what happens to the level below.


I'm considering a small exposed rock wall that will finish at the top of the top baseboard. I had a quick look as to how to make it cheaply. One example was to make a mould using alfoil and casting plaster. It dries in about an hour.

I don't have any casting plaster so I used some powdered Polyfilla. Right now, it looks like this. It will take a lot longer to set. 


This is for a section which is 18 cm x 19cm to fit in next to Billabong Marina and below the oil terminal. I reckon that I might need to give it 24 hours to set.

With a lot of walling, I might need to invest in a bag of casting plaster. My local Bunnings, however, doesn't stock it.

Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment