Monday 6 May 2019

The Oil Depot Part 1

Last week was pretty hectic with a couple of afterwork and evening meetings. This week has a couple as well. But I still made time for my fifteen minutes on the layout. 

Some of the tasks took longer than I had planned but there was progress every day. Here's a great tip which I wish that I had thought of ages ago. Always take a photo of you work when you have finished for the day. As you flip through your images, you get to see your progress.

The oil depot had its concrete base added using printed sheets from Scalescenes dock edge downloadable kit. It is just the same page printed over and over again.

Once the cardboard packing was cut out, a template was made by rubbing a pencil over the edges of the tracks. This was transferred onto thin cardboard and cut out. The sleepers take up about 5 mm of space. The concrete prints were then glued onto the cardboard. It was wrapped around the edges.


Once this was done, the concrete was printed onto thin card. This was then cut to shape and glued in between the rails. The whole lot was glued down using a Bostik glue stick.


A fence was added too. This comes from Kibri and is left over from building Billabong Marina. (Check out that blog here.) It was sprayed grey and glued in place. I used the glue stick again to tack it into place. When I apply the static grass the PVA will do a better job.


This afternoon's effort was adding some ballast. I'm using the list that I made last week.

Jobs for this week:
1. Apply static grass between the run around track and the first oil depot siding.

6. Glue more static grass (not on the same day or the grass sticks to the ballast.)

8. Repair oil loading platform. 

Seeing as items 1 and 6 are the same, it looks like I'll be up to the next section but the end of the week.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment